Dan Marino said he inadvertently became a plaintiff in a concussion lawsuit against the NFL and has now withdrawn his claim. The Hall of Fame quarterback said he doesn’t suffer any effects from head injuries.
‘‘Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf, just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,’’ Marino said in a statement Tuesday. ‘‘I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff … I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit, and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff.’’
Marino’s withdrawal costs the litigants a high-profile plaintiff. He was by far the best-known of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week.