More and more, workers are being forced to drive their own vehicles when performing during working hours in order to perform work activities and duties. However, less and less, employers are providing little or no protection for employees if they are involved in an accident.

This post is part five of a nine part series discussing what you should know when driving your car during work. This installment will discuss who you should notify after a work-related motor vehicle accident has occurred. (You can view previous posts in this series online here)

When a work-related accident occurs you need to notify all entities who may provide you benefits. First and foremost, you should immediately notify your employer and their workers’ compensation carrier. Failure to provide this notice may preclude you from receiving workers’ compensation benefits.

Next you need to identify insurance coverages that may be available to you and notify those entities. For example, if you are driving a car which you own and insure, you may have coverages available to you under your own policy (i.e. wage loss benefits/uninsured motorist coverage, etc). If you are in an employer’s vehicle, there may be additional coverages available to you. You should consult with an experienced workers’ compensation and personal injury litigator who can help you with providing notices to all entities responsible for benefits.