Car accidents can happen at any minute. So many people are hurt or injured every year because of careless driving. With the start of the New Year, in addition to trying to lose weight or quit smoking, we should all try to become safer drivers.
Here are some simple things that we can all do to accomplish this important goal:
- Slow down. Excessive speed is the number one reason for car accidents;
- Put down the cell phone;
- Fasten your seat belts;
- Do not eat while you are driving;
- Never drink and drive;
- Do not tailgate. You should leave at least a two-second cushion between your car and the one in front of you;
- Stay awake. If you need to stop or take a nap, pull over and do so;
- Remove all snow and ice from your vehicle before driving; and
- Make sure that your car is working properly. Check the tires and the brakes.
- Be aware of other drivers. Even if you’re being cautious, others might not be.