More and more, workers are being forced to drive their own vehicles when performing during working hours in order to perform work activities and duties. However, less and less, employers are providing little or no protection for employees if they are involved in an accident.

This post is part two of a nine part series discussing what you should know when driving your car during work. This installment will discuss who is insuring you? (You can view previous posts in this series online here)

If you are driving during your job and are involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to certain insurance coverage(s). If you are an employee, you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits and damages from the person who causes the accident.

If you are driving your employer’s vehicle you may be provided uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage if the person/entity responsible for the accident is not insured or has insufficient coverage.

If you are driving your vehicle, you may have uninsured/underinsured motorist benefits available under your automobile policy(s).

With so many unknowns, it is important to identify what coverage you have, or rather do not have, in the event that you are injured in an accident while driving during the work day. Unfortunately, work-related motor vehicle accidents occur everyday. Do not wait until the accident occurs to find out if you are properly insured. And if you, or someone you know, has been injured in a work-related accident, contact an experienced personal injury attorney to help identify what coverage(s) protects you.