Some people who get social security disability benefits have to pay federal income tax on those benefits. If you file an “individual” federal tax return and your income is more than $25,000 (not including your social security benefits), you will have to pay taxes. If you file a “joint” return, you may have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a combined income of $32,000 or more. If you are married and file a separate return, you will probably pay federal income tax on your benefits.