With the summer officially underway and many people, adults and children, will be on the roads on bicycles. Riding a bicycle is great exercise and help to the environment. However, given the number of car on the road it is imperative to understand safe protocol while sharing the roads with cars. Here are ten tips for bicyclists to keep safe on the roads.
1. Always wear a helmet
2. Always obey traffic lights and signs
3. Always use hand signals before turning or stopping
4. Ride in the road about 2 to 3 feet from the curb
5. Ride in a straight line and do not weave
6. Watch carefully for cars
7. Maintain eye contact with other drivers before turning
8. Ride in the same direction as the traffic flow
9. Avoid road hazards such as potholes, wet areas, pooling of water, gravel, debris etc.
10. Avoid riding at night